Zoological and Botanical Curator
Posted: 30 January 2020 | Full-Time | Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Application Deadline: 17 February 2020
In ARTIS Royal Zoo nature, culture and heritage come together. Since 1838 ARTIS is an oasis in the city of Amsterdam. A unique place where all aspects of nature come up close: microbes, animals, trees, stars and planets. Simultaneously, ARTIS has a major focus on sustainability. With almost 1.5 million visitors a year, young and old, ARTIS inspires and encourage its public to treat nature in a responsible manner. ARTIS is at the start of a next phase with room for ambitious plans.
The zoological and botanical department is responsible for all that lives in ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo; the animals, the trees and plants. As zoological and botanical curator you will manage the team leads who are responsible for the teams of zookeepers, botanists, veterinary and general staff, and for the distribution center. As manager you inspire and encourage the personal development of your staff to realize the goals of the department. The total number of employees of the department consists of approx. 60 FTE.
As zoological and botanical curator you are responsible for managing the animal-, plant and tree collections. You will bring ARTIS to a higher level together with your team, general management and by leveraging the knowledge- and experience of other zoos, aquaria and botanical gardens. Of course always with a focus on animal welfare, conservation and education of a future proof ARTIS.
Management of the animal, plant and tree collection
- lead the various teams mentioned above;
- develop a vision on the animal and botanical collections for the years ahead;
- develop and continuously improve animal enclosures and the gardens;
- lead relevant research in collaboration with scientific organizations;
- make day-to-day decisions about the collections;
- maintain relationships with different external institutions, e.g. the Dutch, European and global associations for zoos and aquaria, the Dutch association for Botanical Gardens, and relevant conservation and scientific organizations.
Management of the department
• detect (new) opportunities and challenges within animal management and translate this to policies which contribute to the strategy of ARTIS;
• communicate the ARTIS policy and set clear frameworks for the organization. You develop clear working processes and lead your department professionally.
• support the optimization of the business processes and formation;
• function as first point of contact between the ARTIS conservation committee and general management.
You are an experienced manager, a generalist with a zoological or biological background. You have good knowledge of animals/wildlife and plants, and you are well connected in the zoo world. You know how to further develop a historical city zoo like ARTIS into a place where animal welfare and education of our visitors are closely linked. You connect well with others, you have courage and a positive and open attitude to inspire and motivate people to achieve optimal results. You are progressive, decisive and flexible to meet this challenge. Furthermore you are experienced in leading projects. You are public focused and you can cope within a complex organization. You have excellent communication skills in English and/or Dutch. If you are a non-Dutch speaker, you are willing to learn the language. You have a university degree. What does ARTIS have to offer? ARTIS offers you a challenging role at one of the most beautiful places in Amsterdam. You will have the opportunity and responsibility to further develop the oldest zoo in the Netherlands. The salary is in accordance with social and charity organizations, like ARTIS.
How to apply
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.