The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.
Zoo Director, Tierpark Bern
Posted: 27 October 2020 | 80-100% (M/F/D) | Bern, Switzerland
The City of Bern is seeking a new Zoo Director, 80-100% (m/f/d) to replace the current Zoo Director, who will be retiring at the end of 2021.
We are seeking a communicative, visionary and entrepreneurial person with enthusiasm and motivation to make the Berne Animal Park (Dählhölzli Zoo and Bear Park) attractive and popular throughout Switzerland.
• Responsibility for a team of 50 employees
• Responsibility for the design of the largest leisure facility in Bern with a clear vision for the future
• Promote Berne Animal Park as a leisure experience with the highest reputation and best practice animal husbandry
• Develop strategies and concepts including investment planning and budget responsibility
• Promote the image and presence of Berne Animal Park throughout Switzerland including media and public relations
• Responsibility for overall operational management: management and coordination of the various departments of the zoo
• Responsibility for employee management and development
• Acquire third-party funding and fundraising to finance Berne Animal Park and its projects
• Ensure and promote scientific work at Berne Animal Park and contacts with scientific institutions
• Responsibility for drawing up species collection plans as well as species and nature conservation programmes
What you bring
• Degree in business administration / marketing or natural sciences (veterinary medicine / biology / zoology) as well as continuing education qualifications in the other field
• Several years’ experience in the management and further development of a comparable organisation
• Entrepreneurial and decision-making skills, including the ability to make unpopular decisions
• Enthusiasm and skill at networking with politicians, the media, sponsors and donors
• Passion for people and animals as well as a vision for a common future
• Empathetic and appealing personality
• Motivational, self-critical, discerning leadership style
• Excellent communication skills, proficiency in German and English
• Knowledge of French is a plus
What we offer
This position involves considerable variety, responsibility and creative freedom, backed by a well-qualified and committed team.
Starting date: 1 August 2021 or by arrangement.
Please send your application to: Bewerbungen.sue@BERN.CH until the 22 of November 2020
Contact: City of Bern, Department of Security, Environment and Energy, Désirée Jakubowitz, Head of HR, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +41795189992.