Veterinary Nurse (Temporary)- ZSL
Posted: 16 June 2023| Full-Time, Fixed Term Contract| £27,159 per annum| UK
ZSL is an international conservation charity. Through our unrivalled animal experts in our two zoos (London Zoo and Whipsnade Zoo), the work of our pioneering scientists, our dedicated conservationists, our purpose is to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wild animals going extinct. Our vision is a world where wildlife thrives and we’re working every day to achieve this. From investigating the health threats facing animals, to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, we are committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction.
ZSL is looking for a Veterinary Nurse on a full-time 1-year fixed term contract to assist the Veterinary Nurse Manager in all aspects of animal healthcare and welfare, veterinary treatment, nutrition, disease surveillance and preventative medicine of ZSL animals, including those being transported and in quarantine.
The Veterinary Nurse will adhere to the code of conduct as set out for RVNs by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) and will represent ZSL as a centre of excellence in the veterinary care of zoo and wild animals.
The role will be based at our Whipsnade site but occasional travel to London will be required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring appropriate provision of healthcare and welfare, veterinary treatment, nutrition, disease surveillance and preventive medicine of all ZSL animals.
- Assist with stocks and readiness of equipment; drugs and disposables; record keeping (ZIMS, STAs/STCs, rabies, BALAI and CITES regulations); the preventive medicine program; and the archive of clinical samples.
- Contribute directly to animal healthcare and welfare.
- In-patient care (enclosure set up, husbandry and training) in the absence of section keeper or during sole working times. This will include venomous reptiles and Category 1 Animals. Implementing and adhering to quarantine guidelines where necessary according to the relevant legislation (Balai, Rabies).
- Collection and processing of clinical pathology samples for diagnostic tests.
- Undertake a proportionate share of the on-call duties for emergencies, weekends, evenings, and other times as required.
- Help maintain strict biosecurity and cleanliness of the veterinary department.
- RCVS Registered Veterinary Nurse
- Paid veterinary nursing experience essential
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of IT systems
- Driving license (required, manual transmission)
- Ability to get a firearms license
- Skills using MS office packages, specifically Excel and PowerPoint or equivalent software packages will be acceptable.
- Effective time management skills
- Proven experience working within a busy clinical team
- High degree of attention to detail in record keeping
- This post will require outside working with direct exposure to the weather and animals.
- This post may require work during evenings, holidays, events and/or and weekends.
- A full driving license (manual transmission) is required for this role.
- Strong commitment to creating a culture that lives ZSL values and commitment to safeguarding, equality and diversity (collaborative, inspiring, inclusive, innovative, impactful and ethical)
- To comply with and promote Health and Safety policies and procedures
What do we offer?
You will have access to a blended program of Wellbeing initiatives, including confidential access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Program as well as regular webinars and activities around mental, physical, social, and financial wellbeing. The opportunity to be part of an organisation that is committed to improving diversity and inclusion.
Other benefits include 25 days holiday, life assurance, stakeholder pension (ZSL will also match further contributions you may choose to make up to a further 5% – limited to 12% employer contributions), complimentary zoo tickets with a 30% discount in shops and online, subsidised canteen, enhanced paternity and maternity leave, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, discounted gym membership and access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities.
Ultimately, you’ll know that you will help us to inspire, inform and empower people to stop wildlife going extinct.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) here. If you require any reasonable adjustments, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) on 6th July 2023
Interviews will occur mid-to end of July.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.