The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.
Veterinarian, Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación
Position Summary: A great opportunity exists for an ambitious, team player and responsible veterinarian to join the expanding team at Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación. The position is for an experienced veterinarian with a special focus on fish and invertebrates.
- Participate in the daily activities of the medical service of the park, including primary case responsibility and regular case rounds with Loro Parque/ Loro Parque Fundación.
- Report directly to the Director of the Veterinary & Laboratory Services, to establish and maintain protocols for the proper husbandry and care of the animals in different locations.
- Assist in determining research priorities and become involved as necessary in any research projects supported by the facility.
- Determine medication regimes, treatment methods, feeding, and other protocols as necessary and desirable for optimum animal welfare and husbandry.
- Administer supplements, medications and treatment protocols.
- Conduct frequent observations of animals and report any abnormalities, health or welfare issues, or change of behavior.
- Maintain standard record keeping related to animal health and welfare, animal behavior, diagnostic interventions, treatment protocols, and other departmental procedural documents. Work with department management and staff to ensure the accuracy, clarity, and availability of all documents.
- Accommodate and assist with regular audits and inspections by local and international authorities as required.
- Plan/participate in research and conservation programs related to the goals of the Loro Parque Fundación.
- Assist in preparing monthly reports for distribution to all relevant managers.
- Train and update husbandry staff in areas of basic medical care to ensure staff comprehension in cases of care for minor incidents.
- Provide emergency care for the animals in the different collections (Loro Parque / Loro Parque Fundación).
- Provide mentorship, coaching, instruction, assistance, and supervision to veterinary students, work-experience students, and assigned interns.
Essential skills and experience:
- Qualified veterinarian licensed to practice in the Canary Islands, Spain. This will require veterinary licensure for the European Union.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience related to veterinary medicine of exotic & zoo species.
- Good understanding and experience of animal behavior, husbandry, and welfare.
- Availability and ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Ability to organize workload and prioritize tasks.
- Ability to communicate with, motivate, and work alongside other staff to build an effective team.
- Ability to develop and motivate a team of volunteers and/or student intern.
- Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences in both verbal and written forms.
- Ability to provide and support a vision and direction for the welfare of zoo animals (predominantly marine mammals and fish).