Team Leader Birds- Auckland Zoo
Posted: 18 December 2023| Full time | Auckland Wide, NZ
He angitūtanga: The opportunity
Auckland is a global city with stunning scenery, wonderful beaches and sub-tropical islands. It is also a city with one of the most progressive zoos in the world. For the last decade, Auckland Zoo’s mission statement has been to, ‘Bring people together to build a future for wildlife’.
This Strategic Roadmap sets out our commitments and our goals over the next five years, that will enable us to deliver on this mission and to move towards our vision of, ‘A future where people value wildlife and species are safe from extinction’.
The ‘Seven Commitments’ of this Roadmap reflect our renewed strategic priorities as a community focused cultural organisation in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland, and as a modern wildlife conservation science organisation in Aotearoa New Zealand
As a key member of the Zoo’s Life Science team, the Team Leader – Birds is required to ensure that the staff, facilities and animals associated with the Bird Team are managed to achieve departmental goals. These goals include but are not limited to; excellent standards of animal husbandry, management and exhibitory; managing the animal species so that they fulfil clearly defined conservation, education and research roles; developing and delivering an exceptional visitor experience; supporting cutting-edge field conservation in New Zealand and the Pacific region; and working collaboratively with other sections and departments within the zoo and with our key partners outside the zoo.
This is a permanent full-time role, working on a variable roster system including some weekend days and public holidays.
More information about the role can be found here.
He kōrero mōu: About you
A high level of energy and physical fitness will enable you to meet the daily challenges of the role.
You will need a relevant (biological/conservation sciences) undergraduate degree or Certificate (minimum) in Zookeeping or equivalent qualification(s) and/or relevant experience in related field.
To guide you further, our ideal candidate will have:
- A track record of innovative husbandry and research.
- Fieldwork experience, including at isolated locations for extended periods.
- Approx. ten (10) years’ experience within a Zoo or related industry.
- Demonstrated knowledge and minimum five (5) years’ experience with the husbandry and welfare of a range of relevant species.
- Previous practical experience within a Zoo or affiliated conservation industry
- Proven experience in a line management role, including experience of recruiting and deploying staff, managing performance and coaching and developing staff to enhance their skills and contribution
- Proven ability to lead a team, able to organise and motivate a large team and engender a sense of teamwork and common purpose
- Experience and an understanding of health and safety and security standards as they affect a large public venue
- A track record of working through others to deliver a high-quality visitor experience in a public facing environment
- Some experience in rosters, time administration and payroll systems is preferred
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou: What we offer
We are a fun and enthusiastic team, who thrive in this challenging and rewarding area and who work in innovative areas on an international level.
As part of the Auckland Council whanau you will have access to an ever growing variety of partnership benefits, a snapshot of which can be viewed here: Benefits
82,500 – 90 k per annum subject to experience
Tono mo te mahi/To Apply
- Please provide a cover letter
- No need to add your roles in the non-mandatory fields if your CV is up to date
- Applications close at 11.59pm on Wednesday 31st January 2024
For further information on Auckland Zoo, please visit our website: https://www.aucklandzoo.co.nz or contact Gina Seward via firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that if you are applying from overseas, we strongly recommend you seek advice from immigration New Zealand on the visa application process and your likely eligibility before applying https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas.
This position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing.
Tātaki Auckland Unlimited is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
Employees in receipt of salary protection and/or on the predecessor Tātaki Auckland Unlimited terms and conditions of employment, please note that the salary protection and/or predecessor Auckland Unlimited terms and conditions, including relocation, apply to your current position. Should you change to a new position (other than any secondment) you will be issued with a new employment letter of offer with current Auckland Unlimited terms and conditions.
Tātaki Auckland Unlimited strongly encourages our employees to be fully vaccinated.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.