Sole Managing Director, Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH (m/f/d) - Tierwelt Herberstein
Posted: 3 May 2023| Full-Time | Stubenberg am See Buchberg, Austria
Deadline of Application: 5 June 2023
With around 240,000 visitors per year, Tierwelt Herberstein is one of the most popular tourist destinations in eastern Styria. The animal, nature and species conservation institution is home to more than 700 native and exotic animals, distributed among 90 different species. In accordance with the Federal Animal Protection Act, the institution is listed as a category A zoo.
In addition to the research and educational mission enshrined in its mission statement, it serves as a recreational space and economic driver in the region. The Herberstein Garden Palace and the “House of Biodiversity” (opening April 29, 2023) round off an exciting experience.
Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH took over the operation of the zoo in 2006. In 2009, Simbawelt Shop- und Gastronomie GmbH was set up as a subsidiary. This company manages the four gastronomy outlets located in the zoo area and the souvenir store. Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH has been owned by Universalmuseum Joanneum GmbH since December 2021.
The following position is being advertised in accordance with the Austrian Staffing Act (Stellenbesetzungsgesetz) and will be filled from July 1, 2023 for a limited period of 5 years:
Sole Managing Director
Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH (m/f/d)
The Herberstein Zoo has a centuries-old tradition of wildlife management. Today, it is a zoo operated according to scientific findings with animals from all over the world, which performs a variety of tasks in the field of nature and species conservation. For the position as sole managing director of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH we are looking for a prominent figure with leadership experience, who will perform the following tasks:
- Management of Tierwelt Herberstein
- Management of the 100% subsidiary Simbawelt Shop & Gastronomiebetrieb GmbH
- Positioning of the Tierwelt Herberstein brand
- Assuming responsibility for the content and business of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH and representing it to visitors, the media and the general public
- Definition and planning of the strategic and operational goals of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH
- Planning and monitoring compliance with budgets and resources
- Acquisition of additional financial means by cultivating and expanding contacts with public sponsors and private sponsors
- Strategic conception and implementation of the educational programme
- Ensuring the regional, national and international anchoring of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH
- Guidance and motivational support of the employees of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH
- Networking with the parent company Universalmuseum Joanneum GmbH
- Optimal use of synergies, related to content, communication, diverse target groups as well as other local, national and international stakeholders (e. g. OZO)
- Expansion and further development of the network and other cooperations
- Several years of management experience in the tourism industry, preferably in a zoo
- Education in tourism and leisure
- Several years of management experience
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinking
- Leadership skills
- Proven knowledge and experience in handling finances as well as economic expertise and cost awareness
- Strong communication skills and ability to network
- Experienced in dealing with national and international media representatives
- Ability to work in a team and motivate others
- Ability to work under pressure and willingness to innovate
- Proven expertise in the field of zoos and for tourism and networking with sponsors and media
- Proven experience in planning and implementing visitor-oriented projects
- Business fluent in German and English
How to apply
For this position, a salary of EUR 100,000.00 gross per annum is envisaged as a benchmark.
Mag. Isabella Mitterlehner-Miksitz is looking forward to receiving your application via the Online Application Tool with a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae, an exemplary list of previous activities in management positions, a comment on the conceptual orientation of Steirischer Landestiergarten GmbH as well as a concept of your development ideas by June 5, 2023 at the latest.
You can find our mission statement at: https://www.tierwelt-herberstein.at/ueber-uns/geschichte/
Applications will be treated in strict confidence and application documents will not be returned. Expenses and costs related to the application cannot be reimbursed.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.