Senior Keeper Bird Team (Maternity cover 1 year) – Auckland Zoo
Posted: 18 April 2023| Maternity Cover 1 Year | Auckland, New Zealand
Auckland is a global city with stunning scenery, wonderful beaches and sub-tropical islands. It is also a city with one of the most progressive zoos in the world. At Auckland Zoo, wildlife conservation and environmental sustainability is at the heart of everything we do.
Our mission is “to bring people together to build a future for wildlife” and we do this by demonstrating exceptional care for wildlife, inspiring our visitors to value wildlife, conserving wildlife in the wild and building a high-performance organisation.
An ambitious capital development programme continues to deliver new infrastructure across the zoo and a remarkable transformation to much of the site – this is our #FutureZoo.
As a Senior Bird Keeper, you will work as part of a team responsible for the daily husbandry and management of bird collection and support cutting-edge conservation in New Zealand and the Pacific region.
This is a unique opportunity to play a key role in the development of the Zoo’s bird section, to actively contribute to conservation both in the zoo and in the field, to work with some of the world’s most extraordinary birds, and to provide exciting visitor experiences, which inspire and empower people to take positive action for wildlife and the environment.
He kōrero mōu About you
To be considered for this role, you must demonstrate all of the following:
- A minimum of five years’ experience in the best-practice husbandry of birds.
- Proficiency in artificial incubation and passerine hand-rearing techniques.
- Certificate in Zoo Animal Management and/or relevant Bachelor degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven ability to carry out and supervise daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Experience in training and conditioning and behavioural enrichment.
- Self-motivation and demonstration of good teamwork.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to perform public animal encounters.
- Strong organisational skills, aptitude for creative problem-solving and ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Commitment to and understanding of the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums
strategies for Animal Welfare and Conservation.
- Current driving licence valid in NZ.
Additionally, preferred candidates would show:
- A track record of innovative husbandry and research.
- Commitment to and experience with undertaking field work and/or bird husbandry in isolated locations for extended periods.
Ngā āhuatanga kei a mātou What we offer
This is a full-time parental-leave cover role for 1 year, working on a rotating roster system including weekends and public holidays. We are a fun and enthusiastic team, who thrive in this challenging and rewarding area and who work in innovative areas on an international level. This position reports to the Team Leader.
Annual salary NZD $60,500 – $67,000 depending upon experience
A high level of energy and physical fitness will enable you to meet the daily challenges of the role. If you have proven relevant animal husbandry experience and a desire to really achieve conservation outcomes through your zoo-based career, then this is the opportunity you have been waiting for.
How to apply
Applications close Sunday 14th of May 2023.
This position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing.
For further information on Auckland Zoo, please visit our website: https://www.aucklandzoo.co.nz
Please note that if you are applying from overseas, we strongly recommend you seek advice from immigration New Zealand on the visa application process and your likely eligibility before
In the first instance, please apply via the ‘apply now’ button below. For more information or
position description please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tātaki Auckland Unlimited is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and we are committed to providing a
working environment that embraces and values diversity and inclusion. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of application to assist you through the recruitment process.
Tātaki Auckland Unlimited strongly encourages our employees to be fully vaccinated.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.