Senior Animal Trainer – Worldwide Zoo Consultants
Worldwide Zoo Consultants is a growing company dedicated to developing and managing zoological and aquarium facilities around the world. Our team is made up of animal care specialists, animal trainers, project managers, zoological operations experts and zoological managers from all backgrounds. All working towards providing the very best animal welfare and unique immersive and educational opportunities for visiting guests through a variety of animal experiences, interactions and programs.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee daily training operations and works closely with Animal Training Manager to ensure that the exhibit and animals inhabiting them are in good health.
- Participate in the behavioural conditioning of animals for husbandry/veterinary care, show-type behaviours and all other conditioning that the animals or project requires.
- Responsible for all additional aspects of daily animal care and maintenance including environmental enrichment, diet preparation, feeding, behaviour observation, data base records entry, monitoring animal health, animal handling for medical care, and other related duties as assigned.
- Clean and maintain the entire facility, including animal exhibits, which may at times require the use of specialist equipment or for aquatic scenarios SCUBA.
- Interact directly with visitors and guests on a regular basis and must ensure quality guest experience / visitor interaction while maintaining the safety of all.
- Teach and mentor all training staff to develop their professional skills in all aspects of their position, including appropriate animal care and behaviour modification techniques, following established company methodology, track staff performance.
- Understand completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and staff training programs.
- Monitor food stocks and order as needed to maintain all supplies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- Knowledge of standard operating procedures
- Know-how of carrying out interactive programs with animals in a safe and educational manner.
- Strong understanding of animal training principles and techniques (operant conditioning) as well as environmental enrichment principles and techniques.
- Problem solving for behavioural issues.
- Knowledge of staff scheduling.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills within the English language.
- Conduct themselves in a professional, positive manner with co-workers and guests.
- Minimum 7 years of experience training and caring for mammals.
- Minimum 3 years of mentoring staff.
- SCUBA certified and ability to pass a dive physical examination is desirable.
- Work well under direction and have the capacity to absorb feedback.
- Have basic knowledge of animal husbandry procedures, contemporary animal training, environmental enrichment techniques, proper dietary and medical care of the animals.
- High school or college level course work desirable with good academic science background.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.