Marketing Manager – Dartmoor Zoo
Posted: 20 April 2022 | Full-Time | Plymouth, United Kingdom | Application Deadline: 31 May 2022
This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic, well rounded marketing specialist to lead the promotion of Dartmoor Zoological Society (the Charity) and its activities. The Marketing Manager will be responsible for ensuring all aspects of marketing across the whole Charity are created, developed and implemented, to increase brand awareness and income. The marketing group is small, so you will be expected to be practical in your approach to the marketing activities and delegation.
Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours per week), and will include the occasional weekend or evening.
Wage: £24,000 to £27,000 per year
Location: Dartmoor Zoo. Although there is an element of home working flexibility, we require the post holder to be on site, working closely with the teams on the ground to develop content required for marketing.
- Manage, analyse and report on marketing activities that cover all areas of responsibility, and support the Head of Compliance and Resources in developing the brand and values of the Charity.
- Manage the Communications and Marketing Officer and be responsible for their training needs.
- Recruit and manage any volunteers or placement students required to support the planned marketing activities.
- Maintain, develop and enhance the marketing plan, adapting it appropriately to accommodate new requirements and opportunities.
- Liaise closely with all other zoo departments, especially Events, Fundraising and Education to ensure all aspects of the Charity are marketed coherently and with maximum impact.
- Monitor spend against budget, making sure each marketing activity gives best value for money. Raise opportunities for new investment if they arise in the year, and assist in the proposal for the next year’s budget.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Officer to deliver all promotional activities.
- Develop and implement effective marketing strategies that maximise the opportunity to deliver footfall and ‘product’ sales.
- Develop and manage any special offers and membership deals.
- Maintain knowledge of other visitor attractions and current industry trends.
- Create regular newsletters, articles and blogs to engage with newsletter subscribers, the local community and magazine readers.
- Develop relations with the press and other media outlets, and create exciting press releases.
- Respond to PR enquiries and support the senior management team with responses.
- Support the Fundraising Lead in developing engaging stories and information about the Zoo and animals.
- Update the main tourist leaflet yearly and ensure maximum value for money on distribution.
- Manage the Zoo’s branding and adherence across all areas.
- Assess marketing enquiries and recommend opportunities which are beneficial.
- Analyse customer feedback and draft suitable responses, in consultation with the relevant Head of Department if needed.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Officer to deliver all of the digital activities.
- Design digital material for social media, the Zoo’s website and other on-line locations.
- Manage the Zoo’s website (WordPress) by uploading regular content, keeping the information up to date including What’s On and Events information, and helping develop the site overall.
- Track and analyse web traffic, providing internal reports to help with planning.
- Work with staff across all departments to create and manage engaging social media posts and campaigns.
- Create and edit video content for social media and other platforms.
- Plan, create and post regular social media content for all aspects of the zoo, using relevant platforms such as HootSuite.
- Manage our social media accounts and respond to customer enquiries.
- Utilise, develop and manage a list of on-line websites and memberships to advertise the Zoo, offers and events.
- Liaise with our PPC supporter to maximise our Charity Google Ads impact.
- Design promotional material for digital marketing and print for magazines, posters, signs and leaflets.
- Manage contractors for any outsourced project design.
- Undertake all other reasonable duties as assigned by the Charity.
Key Performance Indicators
- Meet agreed targets for visitor numbers, education bookings, product sales and event campaigns.
- Delivery of marketing projects to agreed time scales and quality standards that cover areas of responsibility, including third party services.
- Ensure marketing activities support the Zoo’s corporate, charitable and commercial objectives and are ‘on brand’.
The Perfect Fit
We think that, to be successful in this role, you will have:
- Extensive marketing experience, ideally from the tourism or charity sectors.
- Demonstrable leadership skills.
- Digital marketing and graphic design skills.
- Social media management skills, experience in photo editing, and have an eye for detail.
- Video content and editing skills.
- Innovation and ability to develop ideas to fruition.
- Marketing campaign experience both on-line and on-site.
- Great time management, organisational skills and the ability to prioritise a busy workload under pressure of deadlines.
- The ability to work with others, develop internal and external relationships, and listen to others’ ideas
- Content and copywriting experience.
- Demonstrable graphics design experience for both digital and print media.
It would also help if you have:
- A marketing or design degree.
- Line management experience
- Experience of working in a Zoo setting or as part of an organisation with a strong ethical focus, charity connection or educational elements.
Application deadline: 1st May 2022
Interview dates: 5th and 6th May 2022
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.