Elephant Keeper - Zoo Zürich
Posted: 3 November 2022 | Full-Time | Zürich
Zoo Zurich is an innovative and highly-visited cultural institution, a home for 5,000 animals, and a space for enriching and educating experiences. As a conservation center, Zoo Zurich operates under the motto “those who understand wildlife will conserve it”. By raising awareness and igniting excitement for wild animals, Zoo Zurich strives to motivate its visitors and the public in actively supporting its conservation aims.
Effective immediately, we are looking for a new member to join the Department of Animals & Conservation, as an Elephant Keeper.
duties and responsibilities
Ensure the professional husbandry of all animals in the elephant department and support an attractive experience for our guests. In addition to Asian elephants, your keeper duties will extend to other mammals including antelopes and primates as well as various reptiles and birds. You will perform this in accordance with zoological, veterinary, and operational guidelines and in compliance with all requisite safety measures.
With your practical and organizational skills, you will secure the maintenance of the facilities entrusted to you, ensure the organization runs smoothly within the 7-day workweek (we operate 365 days a year), and are ready to step-up to deputy tasks in the absence of the lead keeper.
Required qualifications and experience
- Professional training as a zookeeper, qualified skilled worker, or completion of life science studies (ex. bachelor of sciences)
- Previous experience working with elephants in protected contact is advantageous
- A sound knowledge of zoo animal behavior, anatomy, nutrition, and familiarity of their habitat
- Affinity for developing and improving modern elephant keeping
- Experience with modern animal training methods
- A flair for the upkeep of plants
- Ability to handle and run technical equipment
- Possess a congenial personality with high physical resilience and safety awareness
- Team-player mentality
- Willingness to learn German
We offer a versatile and challenging position in a 10-person team where you actively contribute to the design, implementation, and development of a modern elephant husbandry in a world-renowned elephant enclosure. The curator is looking forward to hearing from you!
how to apply
Please send your complete application by 30 November 2022 to Zoo Zurich AG, Kim Demont, Human Resources Management, email@example.com
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.