Curator of Primates- Zoo Zurich
Posted: 13 July 2023| Full-Time | Zurich
Zoo Zurich is calling! Nature Conservation Center: Habitat for 6000 animals. Host. And employers on an equal footing. And perhaps your employer too?
Do you want to be a part of our team? As our current Curator of Primates is taking over the Zoological Management of zoo Zurich at the end of the year, we are looking immediately or as agreed for a Curator of Primates.
As curator, you will assume overall responsibility for the primates department in terms of both technical and personnel matters. This includes species such as great apes, marsupials, Galapagos giant tortoises, otters and harbor seals. In addition, there are various reptile and bird species.
- You have overall responsibility for the management and development of a team of eleven employees, including duty scheduling and organization of work processes
- As part of the team, you work at least 20% in animal care yourself
- Species-appropriate husbandry of the animals and attractive presentation of the facilities
- You are responsible for the restructuring of the animal population – focus: endangered species
- You are an important member of the construction project team of the planned Congo and Sumatra rainforest habitats for our great apes
- As a curator, you are the contact person for all external and internal stakeholders (e.g. our research or communications department)
- You appear in public and also give interviews to the media as required
- Involvement in association work (e.g. EEPs/TAGs) as well as sharing knowledge at universities and in animal care.
skills and qualifications
- Completed biology degree, degree in animal care or comparable training
- Broad expertise on primates
- Experience in primate husbandry and medical animal training an advantage
- Proven management experience
- Ability to work in a team, high service orientation
- Interest in research projects
- Knowledge in plant care and habitat enrichment
- Business management way of thinking and acting
- Resilient, pragmatic and dedicated
- Very good knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken
- IT skills (MS Office, ZIMS)
Reporting directly to the Head of Zoology, a responsible and exciting challenge awaits you. Your department includes various endangered species, and you make an important contribution to species conservation through breeding and research. You are assured a competitive salary and a comprehensive social benefits package.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.