Communications Coordinator (Maternity Cover) - EAZA
Posted: 15 September 2022 | Full-Time | Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Founded in 1992, EAZA is the world’s largest regional zoo and aquarium association. Driven by our vision of “progressive zoos and aquariums saving species together with you”, we enable the collaboration of more than 400 Members (zoos and aquariums, national zoo federations and other organisations) in 48 countries in the areas of animal population management, animal care, conservation, education and research.
The day-to-day work of the Association is run by the EAZA Executive Office (EEO) composed of about thirty staff members. Most of us are based at our main office at Artis Zoo, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
EAZA has an exciting vacancy for a Communications Coordinator to join their team for a maternity replacement of six months starting from 5 December 2022. The position will be based in Amsterdam. The successful candidate will report to the EAZA Interim Director of Communications and EU Policy and will work with colleagues in other departments and with experts in our Member institutions.
duties and responsibilities
- Coordinate EAZA’s communication channels including the monthly Member newsletter eNews and our social media pages (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram);
- Coordinate the production of the quarterly magazine Zooquaria;
- Source stories from experts in the EAZA Membership;
- Lead on the production of the 2022 EAZA Annual Report and Taxon Advisory Groups’ Report;
- Support the Interim Director of Communications and EU Policy with selected tasks including media relations;
- Provide liaison to the EAZA Communications Committee, including supporting successful implementation of the Committee Action Plan.
- Provide communications cover for when the Interim Director of Communications and EU Policy is absent;
- Where relevant, assist with preparation of conferences and other general tasks in the EEO;
- Contribute to various ongoing tasks in the EEO as appropriate and needed.
Required qualifications and experience
- A degree in a related discipline such as (science) communications.
- Candidates must have a minimum of two-years work experience;
- Proven track record in communications-related project management and working in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment will be an advantage;
- Experience in running a social media channel is essential;
- Affinity with EAZA’s mission and vision and a good understanding of modern zoos, their work and the issues they are facing are essential;
- Experience of working with a membership based association or charitable organisation is preferred;
- Work experience in zoo-related thematic area, such as: wildlife conservation, animal husbandry, research, education is an advantage;
- Experience of working in a multidisciplinary team environment is preferred.
- The ability to quickly form good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders is essential;
- The ability to work effectively to deadlines and under pressure is paramount;
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to prioritise and manage multiple projects at the same time is essential;
- Fluent written and spoken English is essential. The ability to communicate in another European language is preferred;
- The ability to communicate clearly with diverse audiences is essential;
- An attention to detail and proof reading skills is essential;
- The ability to think strategically and creatively is preferred;
- The ability to initiate new ideas and take the initiative in response to challenges and opportunities is preferred;
- Experience with standard MS Office tools and videoconference software; graphic design experience will be a strong advantage.
EAZA are offering a full-time maternity cover post working five days a week (38 hours) from 5 December 2022 for six months. The role is based at the main office in Amsterdam, with a combination of in-office and home-office worktime. Equipment is provided for safe and healthy home working. The successful candidate will also be expected to work weekends and outside normal working hours where required, for example at conferences.
There is a holiday allowance of 25 days a year and a company pension is available. The salary offered is €33,185 per annum. Additionally, EAZA pays an 8% holiday allowance in May which will bring the annual salary to €35,839. Holiday and salary will be applied pro-rata to the agreed contracted period.
how to apply
You should be an EU national or hold an EU work permit in order to be eligible to apply for this role. If you are interested in the position, please send your CV and cover letter for the attention of Tomasz Rusek at email@example.com with the subject line “EAZA Communications Coordinator – your name”. All applications received will be acknowledged by a return email. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: 19 October 2022
Interviews will take place in October in Amsterdam or online.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.