Communications Assistant – World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA)
Posted: 29 July 2022 | Full-Time | Barcelona, Spain
Deadline for application: 2 September 2022
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is seeking a dedicated, creative, experienced individual to join as Communications Assistant to support the Communications Coordinator in promoting key messages and disseminate information through a variety of media on behalf of WAZA and its members. The WAZA Communications Assistant will support the Communications department to shape the public perception and appreciation of the global zoo and aquarium community and help position WAZA and its members in playing an integrated role in addressing key issues such as animal welfare, conservation, and sustainable development, among others.
The support will be provided in all aspects of internal and external communications for WAZA and its members, in collaboration with the WAZA Executive Office and other relevant stakeholders, and will monitor global events, both to identify areas of opportunity and areas of concern.
The Communications Assistant will also support in the creation and implementation of strategies designed to showcase the work of WAZA and its members and raise the general appreciation of the global progressive zoo and aquarium community.
The Communications Assistant will also support other departments as needed.
Employment type: Full-time
Salary: 26.806 Euro Annual Gross + 2.400 Euro Annual Restaurant Ticket
Posts responsible to: Communications Coordinator (if Communications Coordinator is not available then reports to CEO)
- Support the Communications Coordinator in developing a WAZA communications strategy and work plan, including an audit of WAZA’s digital communication channels
- Support the publication of the quarterly members’ magazine and WAZA’s annual report
- Support the management of WAZA website (news, events calendar, required updates) and update databases
- Support the management of WAZA’s social media channels, optimising reach via social media measurements and analytics
- Assist with social media channels, including researching, writing and scheduling posts and creating graphics
- Assist in publication of WAZA Strategies and Short Guides
- Support the development and/or collaborations in communications campaigns ie Reverse the Red movement
- Support the writing and issuing of the weekly electronic newsletter and member announcements
- Support the monitoring of media-related issues/opportunities at WAZA member zoos and aquariums
- Support the preparations and issuing of press releases and articles, and respond to media requests in a timely manner
- Support the development and maintain relationships with key media outlets that will lead to mainstream media coverage
- Collaborate with regional and national zoo and aquarium association communications colleagues
- Public outreach regarding WAZA activities at international forums
- Support the development of key messages and talking points for pertinent current events and programming for use by staff and allies
- Provide support for relevant WAZA initiatives such as animal welfare, conservation, and sustainability
- Assist with preparations for WAZA Annual Conferences and related events
- Support the management of relationships with key stakeholders at partners organisations
- Actively collaborate with your colleagues and assist with general administrative tasks as needed
Desired Education and Experience:
- A university degree in journalism, communications, marketing or a related area. Experience in both internal and external communications
- Interest in the zoo and aquarium community, and issues related to wildlife conservation, animal welfare, and sustainability
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent writing, grammatical and editing skills in English
- Experience in digital content production for social media and web comms assets
- Knowledge of WordPress, Canva, Mailchimp, social media scheduling tools
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, including excel and power point
- Good inter-personal skills
- Self-motivated and fast learner
- Creative and enthusiastic
- Willing to work within a small team and be flexible to support the team
Desirable but not required:
Experience with creative software packages is an advantage including Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, Final cut Pro, Photoshop, In Design, Illustrator etc
The primary language of WAZA is English, and the WAZA Communications Assistant must be proficient in spoken and written English. Proficiency in other languages will be advantageous.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.