The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.
Chief Executive Officer,
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland
The Royal Zoological Society of Scotland (RZSS) is a registered charity which has been working to promote awareness and conservation of rare and endangered animals for over 100 years. In its original charter, granted in 1913, RZSS had the principle objective ‘To promote, facilitate and encourage the study of zoology and kindred subjects and to foster and develop amongst the people with an interest in and knowledge of animal life.’
RZSS also owns and runs Edinburgh Zoo and Highland Wildlife Park as well as supporting a wide variety of research and conservation projects here in the UK and around the world.
The Board of Trustees seeks to appoint a new Chief Executive (CEO). This is a fantastic opportunity to lead one of Scotland’s leading education and conservation charities at a time of change and development.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the CEO is responsible for:
- Developing and delivering the strategic direction of RZSS,
- The development and delivery of RZSS’s charitable objectives as a conservation focused organisation which must be commercially sound and successful.
- The financial performance of RZSS and the operation of its two Wildlife Parks at Edinburgh Zoo and Highland Wildlife Park.
- Significant experience of operating at senior management level with proven track record of effective and emphatic leadership, ideally in a zoological, wildlife conservation or relevant animal visitor experience/attraction.
- Excellent negotiation, communication, people management and stakeholder skills in order to inspire and motivate staff and volunteers and to positively engage with and influence RZSS members and the broader stakeholder community