Chief Executive Officer - Port Moresby Nature Park
Posted: 14 September 2023 | Full-Time | Papua New Guinea
Port Moresby Nature Park (PMNP) launched in 2012, on the site of the former National Botanical Gardens with the vision to be PNG’s leading attraction inspiring in others the guardianship of PNG’s natural biodiversity. The Park is situated on 30 hectares, including the only rainforest tract in Port Moresby and is home to over 400 animals, representing over 50 PNG species. The Park employs circ 70 staff directly and is the highest visited attraction in PNG with over 130,000 visitors per year, which includes 25,000 school children attending structured school excursion programs. The Park also operates PNG’s only wildlife rescue & rehabilitation centre and is the only site in country that conducts multiple ex-situ based wildlife research, breeding and conservation programmes. The Park also plays a key role in tourism activities, often as the official tourism partner to major international events held in the country.
PMNP is an accredited member of the Zoo and Aquarium Association of Australasia (ZAA) and prides itself as a leader in animal welfare practices and ex-situ conservation efforts in the South Pacific Islands region. PMNP is a registered charity deriving funding through on-going Provincial Government grant support, corporate, partner, AID and donor sponsorships and grants, and through the self-generation of income in its commercial activities which include retail, food & beverage, venue hire, memberships, gate takings and plant nursery operations.
- PMNP is seeking a highly motivated, results-orientated Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the organisation into its next chapter of growth. Supported by the Board, the Park’s executive team and long-term key partners, the CEO will provide direction and active leadership across all areas of the organisation, including guest experiences, commercial operations, fundraising and partnership management, financial management, marketing and promotions, education, animal welfare and facilities maintenance.
- The CEO will be a strong and motivational leader dedicated to staff training and development, policy and process and to empowering staff in their professional development.
- The CEO will be a strong public face, attending a diverse range of events from business networking, foreign diplomatic engagements and PNG Government events to advocate and promote the works of the Nature Park.
- The CEO will work with the Board to develop, provide leadership and direction in the delivery of an ambitious 10-year expansion Master Plan which will include construction and development of new and expanded visitor experiences, wildlife facilities and precincts, and conservation, research and educational facilities and spaces to strength the Park’s visitation and conservation outcomes.
- Operating within the context of a developing country and the challenges this presents, the CEO will be open-minded, resilient, adaptable to change, willing to take on the advice and recommendations by the Board and will have preferably had experience working &/or living in developing countries.
Demonstrated experience within the zoos, public attractions, tourism or the leisure sector is preferred along with tertiary qualifications in the field of Business Management or other relevant degree.
- The position will be a three-year contract with option for extension and is based in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
- An attractive and competitive salary package is offered which will incorporate salary, accommodation (within a secure compound), vehicle, travel allowances, school fees (if required), medical insurance, patriation/repatriation costs, and all visa, work permit and dependent visa costs (as required).
- Living and working in Port Moresby brings fantastic and unique opportunities, adventures and a tight-knit and active community.
Further information about the application process may be found here.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.