Bird & Animal Training Manager – Worldwide Zoo Consultants
Posted: 9 May 2022 | Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Worldwide Zoo Consultants is a global leader in the creation, development, and management of a wide variety of specialized animal facilities and projects. From Zoological Parks, Public Aquariums, and Animal Sanctuaries, to living museums and immersive animal-based education centers.
The Bird & Animal Training Manager is an integral member of the management team who works closely with the Managing Director and Veterinarian to manage all aspects of animal behavior management, care and husbandry. Demonstrate excellent representation of the Company at all times through a positive, can-do attitude and teamwork focused work ethic.
- Promote the mission of Worldwide Zoo Group as directed by the Managing Director.
- Build strong relationships with all clients and provide world-class customer service to all guests.
- Oversee all aspects of personnel management for the facility including but not limited to training current/new employees, planning, scheduling, assigning and directing work, appraising performances and preparing annual performance evaluations, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complains, and resolving issues.
- Responsible for all additional aspects of daily animal care and maintenance including environmental enrichment, diet preparation, feeding, behaviour observation, data base records entry, monitoring animal health, animal handling for medical care, and other related duties as assigned.
- Clean and maintain the entire facility, including animal exhibits, which may at times require the use of specialist equipment
- Oversee all aspects of animal behavior management, care and husbandry for the facility including staff, exhibit and facility management and supervision of training of animals to ensure they adhere to the highest standards
- Maintain animal record logs relating to behavioral and medical conditions of the animals as well as recording all conditioning; supervise registrar activities, including daily reports, treatment logs, and other activity records.
- Develop improved practices in feeding, housing, sanitation, and parasite and disease control.
- Development of Standard Operating Procedures and Protocols in accordance to company policies.
- Maintain an adequate inventory of commissary supplies for the facility.
- Ensure the exhibits and animals inhabiting them are in good health.
- Work closely with the Managing Director to develop and employ sound medical programs for the animal collection, including diet formulation, preventative medicine, testing, quarantine, and health care.
- Workplace will be dependent upon the company’s projects and some travel outside of the UAE may be required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Possess good verbal and written communication skills within the English language and must be able to conduct themselves in a professional, positive manner with co-workers and guests.
- Must have a strong attention to detail and be highly professional, proactive, self-motivated, independent, a problem solver and be able to work with intermittent guidance.
- Computer literate (MS Office) proficiency with computers and current software applications.
- High school or college level course work desirable with good academic science background.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in marine animal husbandry, management, and training with emphasis on program development and guest interactions.
- Practical experience in managing an animal collection and animal care staff is essential.
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulatory requirements relating to the care and keeping of animals in captivity as well as the ability to translate/interpret laws, rules, regulations and practices to convey an appropriate course of action.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong listening, presentation, and decision-making skills.
- Committed to the care and welfare of animals.
- Must be passionate about your job.
- Good attendance, work record & timekeeping.
Please send a one-page cover letter with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position you are applying for in the subject line.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.