Bear and Vet Team Director - China Bear Rescue Centre, Animals Asia
Posted: 5 September 2022 | Full-Time | Xindu District, Chengdu, China
Animals Asia is an international animal charity with our Headquarter in Hong Kong, with over 400 team members and operations in China, Vietnam, Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and Europe. The foundation is devoted to ending the cruel practice of bear bile farming and improving the welfare of animals in Asia. It promotes compassion and respect for all animals and works to bring about long-term change. For more information, please visit www.animalsasia.org.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in our bear sanctuaries in Chengdu, China. This position reports to our CEO Jill Robinson, you will be overseeing and manage a team of expert bear managers and veterinary staff at our China Bear Rescue Centre. The ideal candidate must have animals welfare experience or is a veterinary-trained leader.
- Oversee and manage the Bear & Vet team at CBRC and off site, including budget, HR, purchase, evaluations, training and development, and ensure all relevant behavioral enrichment practices, protocols and procedures are functional and strictly adhered to in order to facilitate the care of the bears and other animals both at CBRC and off site.
- Review and refine policies and procedures associated with the sanctuary and care of bears.
- Liaise with the wider management team, such as the Vietnam Bear Rescue Centre, fundraising, communication teams, and construction department, and together with the General Manager ensure the smooth running of CBRC making sure all staff adhere to established Health & Safety policies and procedures, oversee any onsite emergencies and develop and maintain effective working relationships in regards to work procedures, employee relations and procurement related concerns.
- Coordinate bear rescues in conjunction with the China Director, Projects Director & CEO.
- Ensure that inter-department and inter-personal relationships at CBRC are positive, cohesive, and contribute to the overall mission of Animals Asia.
The following items are included in the full-time contract
Basic on-site accommodation
Emergency medical insurance
- A degree in zoology, biology, conservation, animal behaviour or related field.
- At least 5 years’ work experience in a zoo, rescue centre, rehab centre or similar working environment.
- Rich, relevant hands-on animal-care experience, team management experience.
- Good teamwork and communication skills.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Love animals and respect life.
- NGO work experience is preferred.
- Suitable candidates must be able to commit for a minimum of 2 years.
Appointment is paid, full-time, five (5) days a week with some weekend work applicable.
how to apply
Interested parties please forward your cover letter (stating the position applied for) with CV and your completed Job Application Form to: email@example.com.
Please include your name in the email subject line. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Personal data collected will be treated in strict confidence and used solely for recruitment purposes.
Animals Asia values candidates with different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We welcome applicants of every ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, socioeconomic status, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to building an organization that creates an inclusive environment for all.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.