Associate Zoo Veterinarian- Hamilton Zoo
Posted: 2 August 2023| Permanent|$95,000 – $105,000 per annum| Hamilton City
Hamilton Zoo is a Zoo and Aquarium Association Australasia (ZAA) accredited and World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) accredited zoo. Owned and operated by the Hamilton City Council we are set in 25 hectares of tranquil surroundings and are home to more than 600 native and exotic animals.
We’re looking for a special kind of person to join our Te Kaaroro – Hamilton Zoo team as an Associate Veterinarian. If you think this could be you, let’s talk!
- A recognised and current NZ Veterinarian qualification (or the ability to obtain it)
- At least 3 years’ experience working with Zoo animals and/or wildlife in a veterinary capacity
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to work to schedules
- An understanding of best practice within modern zoological veterinary medicine
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Head Veterinarian, the Associate Veterinarian will have shared responsibility for providing comprehensive medical care for the animals at the zoo and native wildlife that present for rehabilitative care.
General responsibilities include providing routine preventative medical care, surgery, emergency medical care, diagnostics, treatments, post-mortem examination, and biosecurity for imports/exports. We work to maximize individual animal welfare. We have all necessary equipment for basic and advanced anaesthetic monitoring and diagnostic techniques, including rigid and flexible endoscopy, digital radiography and ultrasound.
- You are an ambitious person focussed on process improvement and making the workplace around you better through initiative
- You have exceptional communication skills
- You enjoy working as part of a team, but with the ability to work independently
- You are available to work on a 7 day a week roster to care for our animals.
This job isn’t for you if:
- You don’t enjoy a fast-paced and busy environment
- Interacting with an ever-changing workload doesn’t come easily to you
What do we offer?
- Free private medical insurance for you (including cover for pre-existing conditions and no excess) and discounted policies for your family members
- A paid wellbeing day each year to make sure you are looking after yourself
- In-house Learning and Development opportunities to grow yourself and your career
- Free annual health checks and flu vaccinations
- A suite of discounts at local businesses
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.