Aquarium Professional- ARTIS Amsterdam Royal Zoo
Posted: 23 August 2023| Deadline 26 November 2023| Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Since February 1st 2020, the doors of ARTIS-Aquarium have been closed for the biggest renovation and reconstruction in history. In the meantime the aquarium team is preparing for the grand opening scheduled for late 2025. The team is actively working, elsewhere in ARTIS, in a temporary aquarium.
ARTIS is now looking for aquarists of different expertise/experience levels to join the team and help prepare for the coming future.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The main task of all our aquarists is to provide the best possible care for the living collection. This means:
- Ensuring a high level of husbandry;
- Observing and interpreting animal behaviour and recording this correctly;
- Measuring the water quality and taking care of the optimal parameters;
- Keeping knowhow about life support systems up to date;
- Cleaning of the aquaria;
- Breeding species;
- Preparing food and providing the correct menu for all our species;
- Answering questions from visitors and actively giving presentations about aquatic life, including the relationship with other animals, plants, microbes and of course humans.
- You are passionate about aquatic life and have proven education and/or previous work experience as an aquarist/keeper;
- You work accurately and well independently as well as in a team;
- You have an assertive and proactive attitude;
- You are flexible and understand ARTIS is an organisation that operates 365 days a year;
- You are eager to learn and work outside your comfort zone;
- You have knowledge of working safely in an aquarium environment;
- You can communicate in fluent English and know or are willing to learn (basic) Dutch.
What ARTIS offers
Imagine walking through the monumental gates of ARTIS in the morning, where the gibbons welcome you with their song. You greet the first visitors, full of enthusiasm for the day. During your onboarding process you will become acquainted with all departments of ARTIS: from working in the store to helping plant flower bulbs and grow microbes. Just like your working environment, your work is very versatile: every day at ARTIS is different!
This is a job with variation, responsibility, challenges and development opportunities in the most beautiful and greenest workplace of Amsterdam. The salary depends on experience and education and is based on a 38 hour workweek.
We will initially offer you a twelve-month contract with the intention of extending it afterwards. ARTIS has an extensive travel allowance that encourages sustainable transport. You also receive a contribution for additional health insurance and you enjoy a discount to other parks in the Netherlands.
Furthermore, ARTIS offers you:
- A unique opportunity to work in the most beautiful historic aquarium in the world;
- Be part of a team that will build up the Aquarium again after 5 years of being closed;
- A lot of variety in your week, responsibilities, challenges and opportunities to enrich and develop yourself.
The World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA) is the global alliance of regional associations, national federations, zoos and aquariums, dedicated to the care and conservation of animals and their habitats around the world.